Monday 28 May 2007

Our VoLcAnO Models and Explosion!




Before we made our models.


We talked about the ingredients we would need, equipment used to make the model, the safety precautions, and the expected behaviour.

Making our models.

To make your models we used the ingredients, equipment and you all behaved very well and safely when adding, mixing, kneading and making your model volcanoes. After we made the models we then wrote a 'procedure' (what we used (ingredients), and what we did).


Painting our models.

Before you painted your models we needed to wait a few days for the dough volcanoes to dry. Once they were dry you all set out on painting your Volcanoes. Many of you decided to make a big magma chamber; some of you added a dike and vent; others made different shapes and types of volcanoes.


Explosion Day!

Today was the day EVERYONE was looking forward to. You all recalled the demonstration I did with the bicarb soda, white vinegar and red food colouring, and enthusiastically predicted what might happen with your volcanoes!

ExPloSiOn

TASK: To each write something that you learnt under the headings below possibly about the ingredients;the verbs used to write the method/ steps in the procedure; why you painted your volcano certain colours; and what happened to your volcano after it exploded!

Comment on the photos and what you enjoyed. =]

Headings
Before we made our models.
Making our models.
Painting our models.
Explosion Day!
Reflection/ Observation

4 comments:

Miss Bate said...

Before we made our models.
Flour
Salt
Water
Spoon
bowl

Making our models.
Added flour and salt. Mixed water. Kneaded dough. Made volcano.

Painting our models.
I used blacks and browns to make my volcano look real. I also put some dirt on the bottom of my volcano.

Explosion Day!
I LOVED making it explode! It was sssooooo much fun!

Reflection/ Observation
My volcano changed shape too. It became more fat. I think this was because the bi-carb soda and vinegar sort of moved it.

This was SSSOOOO much fun! Look at our BIG class volcano explode... bbaammmmm

Miss Bate said...

I forgot my name Miss Bate. It was Jacob who just reply but forgot my name.

Miss Bate said...

Before we made our models.
2 cups Flour
1 cup Salt
Water
Spoon
Bowl
Plate
Paint shirt

Making our models.
Added 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of salt. Mixed. Stirred in water. Kneaded the dough so it was mixed. Made the volcano, the conduit with my finger and also a vent and put it on the plate to dry.

Painting our models.
I used a lot of colours mixed so it would look like a volcano! It looks like a real one. Its so cool.

Explosion Day!
I had some of the lava come out of my vent. It looked good.

Reflection/ Observation
My volcano cracked a little after it finished exploding for 20 minutes. There was a lot of lava moving everywhere… Maybe it did it!

Sharni

Miss Bate said...

Excellent to see you both remembered the ingredients and equipment we needed!

Our bowls and spoons to mix everything together with!

Our paint shirts so we didn’t get a dirty school uniform. The exact ingredients were measured out!

Some excellent reflections also!

Keeeeeeeeep them coming! =]
Miss Bate